Wednesday, June 23, 2010

This plan really came together... I'm just sayin'...

So - I recently saw The A-Team. Yeah. I'm late. Sue me.

The movie was pure, unadulterated, awesome. It was made from only the finest raw awesome bullion imported from the world's most remote and dangerous locales. Places you might find King Leonidas sharpening a spear, or Wolverine devouring the last guy to call Silver Fox lame, or Chuck Norris playing beer pong and getting a mani/pedi.

Eff it, I'll use the cliche... It's a non-stop-mother-fu*king thrill-ride from start to finish. I'm just sayin'...

First - let's talk about casting... (Potential spoilers. You've been warned.)

Hannibal: Liam Neeson
Not terrible casting, although I must admit I was skeptical when I heard about it. As a fan of the series, I have to say I missed seeing the old man disguise himself to fool the marks, but it's an origin story so perhaps we'll see some of that in the [inevitable] sequel. Some alternates I though might have done just as good - Michael Douglas, Kurt Russell, or even Dennis Hopper (too soon?). In the end, none of these (or anyone else, I'd challenge) would've done better than Liam Neeson, and for crap's sake the man's in mourning so let him work. He got the character right, brought a grittier edge to Hannibal, and showed the real badass behind the plan (and the cigar).

Face: Bradley Cooper
Perfect. There's little else to say here. He could've been clean shaven, but eh? Who gives a s*it... The only scene that didn't feel right was the opening hostage scenario. He takes a shot to the face and laughs it off, then asks "is that all you got!?". He does this in a way only Bradley Cooper can pull off without sounding overly macho. Again - its' an origin story so I'll hold out for the sequel to see if Face develops his penchant for preening, and reclaims his trademark line "not in the face!". Looking at the currently available pool of actors, I can't think of a better choice for this role, and (aside form script issues) Cooper nails it.

B.A. Baracus: Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
If you have to re-cast this role (and based on the recent pics of Mr. T I've seen, you do) I suppose Rampage is as good as the next guy. They'll all pale in comparison to the legend. The film throws in a nice homage to the lovable B.A. we all remember, but Mr. T was just more likable. Getting past that is easy, because aside from a conflict of conscience halfway through the film (in retrospect, an unnecessary diversion we could've all done without...), and an awkward staring match with a bathroom mirror - B.A. is exactly what he should be - a foil for Murdock. Lines are delivered well, and in a scene that ranks as one of the coolest I've seen this year - we learn just why B.A. is afraid to fly (and why he's got it in for Murdock). Which brings us to...

H.M. Murdock: Sharlto Copely
Wow. I was totally blown away by this guy. I loved his "performance" in District 9, but I clearly didn't give him enough credit as an actor. He nails the character of Howlin' Mad Murdock to a "T" - from a mid-air stall in a medi-vac chopper to a rousing mid-montage rendition of Mel Gibson's Braveheart speech, Sharlto laid the smack down, and frankly - he stole the show. I'm just sayin'...

The Plot... we had one of those around here somewhere, right?

Yes we did - and it was fun to watch and easy to follow, with a few interesting twists I didn't expect. It doesn't hurt that series creator Stephen J. Cannell was heavily involved. The fellas are each introduced, form a team, get into trouble, and wham - a conflict is nicely developed. There are some entertaining (and some chuckle inducing) side plots/personal struggles, and overall the 'Team makes the jump to the big screen in style.

The story follows our heroes as they kick copious sums of ass over the course of a couple hours. From jacking currency plates from Saddam loyalists, to busting Face out of prison in a tanning bed (don't ask), to playing "3 Card Monty" with massive storage crates on a shipping dock... Hell - they even fly a f*cking TANK... Yes. They fly a tank. And it totally works. Without causing my suspension of disbelief to totally collapse... I'll say it again...

Non-stop-mother-fu*kin'-thrill-ride.

From start to finish.

It won't win any Oscars, but it's one of the best ways to spend $20 at a movie theater without those goofy 3D glasses on your face.

I'm just sayin'...

**I added the Amazon Movie Trailer widget to the page today. I added it because I love movie trailers - if there are any you'd like me to try to find, let me know here and I'll do what I can. Comments welcome**

No comments:

Post a Comment